Saturday, November 05, 2005

Cooking with romanesque


I picked this up this week at Whole Foods in San Mateo and couldn't resist trying it out. It's called "romanesque" and is a cross between broccoli and cauliflower. This picture doesn't do it justice. To cook it, cut up like cauliflower and boil for about 3 minutes or until tender. We kept it simple with the preparation, just plain with a bit of salt and pepper added for taste (the way we usually have our veggies).

To my kids' credit, they tried it...and promptly spit it out.

It's definitely crunchier than cauliflower, not as sweet, and the nubby texture adds an interesting feel to the vegetable. I think it was the texture that threw the kids off. My husband and I enjoyed it, and his words, "I'd eat it again" mean that it's a success. But as I'm trying to simplify, not complicate weeknight dinners, I'll probably make it only for company, and then, as an interesting conversation side dish.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Ddot the King said...

Looks very interesting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home